Thursday, September 9, 2010

Too many pictures...


I've already taken over 200, so I apologize for the overload on pictures! They don't even do it justice either, it is just so beautiful here! And luckily the rain has held off since that first day so far... knock on wood.

Nice blue sky... I hope it lasts!

Scoping out the cheap places to buy things for our dorms. Scottish equivalent of Dollar Tree = Poundland in case you were wondering.

Jill and I along North Bridge Street

THE GRAPES!!!! I MUST go back here. End of story.

Group picture outside of Armstrongs resale store! With the Scottish kilt mannequins of course.

Wall of kilts

My store! Well not really at all, but still. I was excited to find that my middle name also happens to be a hip/crazy/retro clothing store
Cooking demonstration at the Edinburgh New Town Cookery School the second night of orientation

Our chef Fiona cooking "stovies," basically a Scottish version of mashed potatoes. Usually you cook them with the meat drippings left over from your big Sunday meal, but we just made a vegetarian version to cater to our big group. In my opinion, Fiona is basically the Paula Dean of Scottish cooking, since she seemed to start each recipe with about a pound of butter. Just without the Southern accent. We made several different things - the stovies, a smoked salmon and caramelized onion tart, bean pate and smoked mackerel pate, as well as a raspberry jam tart for dessert.

Andrew (also from Davidson) and I stopping to snap a touristy picture outside the telephone booth. Of course.

Everybody squeeze in!!!

Loch Ness monster hats. Clearly we had to stop and take a picture wearing them.

View from the bridge right after sundown

SCOTTISH STUFFED ANIMALS!!! Great picture to end on in my opinion

So I really apologize for the bombardment of pictures. So much has happened in such a short amount of time, it's almost impossible to recap it all. But in a nutshell, we have learned a lot during orientation thanks to interactive getting to know you activities (a wonderfully cheesy an awkward staple of any orientation program), lots of helpful lectures from our Arcadia program coordinators Anna and Morgan, and a good deal of time spent walking all over and getting to know the city. So far I am really enjoying my time here and haven't gotten cold yet. (Yet being the operative word there...) Tomorrow we move into our flats and next week is the orientation with the University of Edinburgh, more commonly known as "Fresher's Week." It is supposed to be a ton of fun and jam packed with events catered towards both international and first year students. I will do my best to continue to take lots of pictures and blog again soon! Hope everything is well back in the U.S. I miss all of you!


1 comment: